The only Via Ferrata on Crete, is located at the Asterousia mountain range at Kapetaniana. It is moderately difficult, well protected and with a great view to the Libyan Sea all the way! It is accessible for children aged 8 and up, making it an exciting option for a family active holiday.
We start our tour and head toward Asterousia Mountains. The Asterousia Mountains are a range in southern Crete separating the Messara Plain from the Libyan Sea where evidence of ancient Cretan cultures have been found in excavations performed within sites contained the range. Because of its’ history, its’ natural beauty and the heritage of the range, it is nominated for becoming a UNESCO recognized heritage site. Our drive continues until re reach the beginning of the Eligia gorge located in the area of Kapetaniana. There a safety briefing will follow where you will be acquainted with your equipment and with all the safety procedures that are necessary for crossing the gorge and the Via Ferrata safely. Once the safety briefing is over, we will enter the gorge. After a short hike where you will observe the geological diversity of the gorge, we find ourselves at the beginning of the Via Ferrata. Through out the entirety of the hike and climb through the gorge and Via Ferrata you will have the opportunity to admire the wild Cretan beauty of the gorge as the imposing peak of Kofinas which is the highest point of Asterousia, decorates the route up until the end. Once we reach the middle point of the via ferrata though where the Mytiki peak resides, you will be able to experience the Cretan scenery in all its beauty by watching the gorge on one hand and the Lybian sea on the other hand, making it a perfect location for a short stop for pictures. Moving on from Mytiki we follow a circular climbing root which leads us at the end of the Via Ferrata. Afterwards a short hike follows which leads us back to the cars. Afterward, we can visit Kapetaniana, which is a small village in the area. The village has approximately 80 inhabitants and is built on the slopes of Asterousia Mountains at an altitude of 750m, offering stunning views of the Libyan Sea and the Messara Plain.
• Suitable for individuals and small groups (up to 6 persons).
• Suitable for children aged 8 and up
• All the gear needed is provided and we guarantee that everything is in perfect condition.
• Participants should be able to hike for 3-4h (moderate hiking) and have no fear of heights.
• No previous experience required
• No climbing or abseiling experience necessary
|What to bring
Minimum number of participants,3 persons.
Maximum number of participants,6 persons.
|• Experienced, English speaking driver
• Experienced, English speaking Via Ferrata guide
• Free transport from/to your hotel. (as long as you are within the predefined pick-up area)
• Free Wi-Fi
• Lunch pack (water,energy bar, fruits, juice box)
• Via Ferrata equipment(harness, lanyards, helmet, gloves)
• Trekking equipment upon request (trekking poles, backpack)
|• Private expenses (coffees, alcoholic drinks etc.)
• Anything that it is not mentioned at the “Price includes” list
|• Trekking shoes or regular sport shoes
• Sun Screen
• Hat – sun glasses
Pickup from any hotel within the highlighted area